1) His buddies are still single. That’s right; Birds of a feather flock together. Don’t expect your man to simply warm up to the idea of marriage just because you pitched it. It’s always easier and less petrifying for them to take the plunge together, this way they won’t feel like they’re missing out on late night parties at ONE because they were up early with you deciding between petunias or orchids.
2) You’re too controlling. Why leave a carefree home only to share one with a woman who needs to sign a leave request for his every move? Men have caught on, and they pretty much know it’s only going to get worse once he’s under your tutelage, so either loosen up your grip or enjoy the title of possessive girlfriend. Forever.
3) Your dream wedding may land him in small claims court, that or a jail cell. Yes, sure the wedding isn’t just about just you, it’s about your parents and your aunt, her father, your grandma’s sister and your third cousins twice removed. But give the guy a break and ditch the foolish fireworks and greasy one-man show, trust me, they will not make or break your marriage.
4) His mama loves him. So very much. It’s very hard for you to snatch a mother goose’s golden egg out of the nest, especially when momma is still feeding, and yes for Arab boys the feeding lasts forever if needed be. So don’t think she’s gonna just give him up that easy. Chances are you won’t be able to take half as good care of him as she can and the problem is HE knows it too. So unless you know how to make him Mloukhiyeh while him and his buddy play on the Xbox , he’s not going home with you.
5) Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. No I didn’t just compare my own gender to cows? Ok yes maybe a little. But you know what I mean. I am very much pro-cohabitation, however let’s say things as they are, most men don’t see the need to marry you when they are already getting all the benefits of living with you minus the legal commitment, the rock and many headaches to come.
6) You’ve hinted too hard. Yes, especially since you’ve resorted to begging. There is nothing more unattractive for a man than a desperate/pushy woman. It’s harsh but it’s the truth.
7) Let’s just say his family don’t think too highly of you. You could be the sweetest and prettiest girl on the block and still not make the cut for their perfect little prince with a face only a mother can love. It’s very hard for an Arab man to tie the knot without parental approval, when you marry Arab, you sort of marry the family too. So unless he’s super independent both financially and emotionally don’t count on it.
8) You’re not marriage material. Sure you’ve been dating for over a year, but you should have noticed by now how he’s only taking you along to the fun nights. And although you’ve done unorthodox things together he still plans on marrying virgin Salma from the village when it’s time. It’s not you, it’s his primate instincts.
If you don’t relate to any of these then it’s cause he’s an idiot, who fails to see the diamond in the rough you are, so if he’s not appreciating what he’s got this early on chances are he never will. And who wants to marry a man with lack of vision anyway? Move on and never look back, plenty of fish in the sea ladies. His loss, just doesn’t know it yet.
Have I missed any?
Enjoyed this post? Also check out